POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Image Maps (from povray.newusers) - attached files (1/1) : Re: Image Maps (from povray.newusers) - attached files (1/1) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:15:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Maps (from povray.newusers) - attached files (1/1)
From: Chris B
Date: 16 Nov 2005 13:56:55
Message: <437b80f7@news.povray.org>
"kurtz le pirate" <kur### [at] yahoofr> wrote in message
> In article <43798cb2$1@news.povray.org>, "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress>
> wrote:
>
> ::> any size you like but image must have width = 2 x height.
> ::
> ::No; regardless of an image's size, it will be treated the same way by
> ::POV-Ray. This means it will be squeezed into the unit square from
> ::<1,1,0>, even if doing so changes its proportions. (If spherical mapping
> is
> ::used, the image will similarly wrap all the way around the sphere no
> matter
> ::what its width or height is.) It's up to the user to resize the image as
> ::necessary.
> ::
> :: - Slime
> :: [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
>
> ok just look at this samples :
>
> the difference between the two images is only the ratio of the source
> image map.
>
> when ratio is 1/2, circle is render as a cercle.
> when ratio is 1/1, circle is render as an ellipse.
>
> ... snip ...

I wouldn't want to get in the way of a good argument, but I suspect that the
two images you started with (image01.png & image02.png) were different in
another respect.
My guess is that the second image had a fair bit less green stripe that the
first one had, and that the circle containing the number 14 was the same
shape in both source images.
If you use a graphics editor to scale the first image non-uniformly by one
half in the horizontal direction without changing the height, you should
find that, even though the proportions will now be 1/1, the rendered image
should still wrap correctly around the sphere.
The reason a 1/2 ratio makes a circle on the centre line of your source
image map perfectly to a circle on the sphere of your output image is that
the source image is wrapped around the circumference of the sphere
horizontally and around half the circumference of the sphere vertically.

Regards,
Chris B.